Thursday 17 May 2012

New Shanghai - Chatswood Chase, Sydney

New Shanghai Chinese Restaurant  on Urbanspoon

Shop B-038, Chatswood Chase, Chatswood, NSW 2067


On a shopping trip to the leafy north shore Sydney suburb of Chatswood, I decided to pop into Chatswood Chase (a luxury designer shopping centre) for lunch.

New Shanghai is located in the lower ground floor food court, it's just a bit fancier at Chatswood than your usual shopping centre food court.

The decor is also a bit fancy, modern Shanghai inspired interiors matches the classical Shanghai-style cuisine. There is also a view of the kitchen where you can watch the dumpling making action.

With the colder autumn weather upon us, I decided to warm up with a bowl of Braised Beef Noodle with Soup, and then logic defied me, and I could not resist dessert - a cold Red Bean Paste with Icecream!



Braised Beef Noodle in Soup $11.50

Red Bean Paste topped with Icecream & Shaved Ice $6.00


Inside, full view of the dumpling making action!

Pros: The braised beef noodle soup was so warm, hearty and completely satisfying. Lots of big chunks of tender beef with chinese vegetables, and shanghai noodles. The beef broth was full of flavour, lots of spices used - could see some star anise and chilli (not hot) in my bowl. I will definately be back here for this and to try the dumplings!

Cons: The red bean dessert could have done with some sugar syrup. If the scoop of icecream was not there, it would have been pretty bland - just shaved ice and red bean. That being said, I do have a sweet tooth and I guess I'm more used to the sweet ice kchang desserts in Singapore.

Kerancia's Tip: Buy the Entertainment Book - Sydney edition, and you can get 25% off your meal!

No comments: